Minutes of the May 17, 2011, Meeting of the Webster Conservation Commission
Commission met at the Webster Town office at 7:30 PM.
Present: Mary Jo MacGowan, Chairperson, Nancy Clark, Sally Embley, Betsy Janeway, Bob Quinn, and Nancy Van Loan.
Guest: Martin Bourque of Webster. Janeway volunteered to be secretary.
A request for information on a minimum-expedited application upon which the WCC signed off months ago. See NHDES letter to Ms Cloues.
Webster Town tax maps on a disk arrived at town office.
Request for a $100 membership contribution to Ausbon-Sargent Land Preservation Trust (ASLPT). Agreed to pay $100 to ASLPT.
Notice of annual meeting of Five Rivers on Saturday at Carter Hill Orchard.
2. Warner Sub watershed was the focus of a meeting between WCC’s Susan Roman and NH Audubon’s Margaret Watkins.
3. Mapping Webster
Mr. Quinn is working on purchase of a GPS, and talking with Vanessa Jones at NH Audubon. Bob has, on paper, 1979 NH State soil maps, and his own copy of a Merrimack County soil survey. A computer link to USDA’s web page is:
Ms. McGowan will give Vanessa Jones the tax map disk to see if she can use it; Vanessa Jones will estimate cost of requested map: three maps with layers showing tax maps, roads, and topographical features.
4. Easement Monitoring
SPNHF and LCIP can share monitoring documents, reports Stephen Walker (LCIP staff).
5. Agricultural Commission: Mason Donovan would like to join Ag Commission.
6. New Business: Ms. Janeway has not yet been sworn in as WCC member.
7. Guest Martin Bourque recommends a book, Pastures of Plenty, by John Carroll. He said that the goals of conservation commissions and agricultural commissions overlap. A CC’s duty, he said, is to conserve land and keep it open for people to enjoy; grazing pastures and agricultural land conservation also fills CC goal.
8. June 3, Warner Town Hall 7PM: John Carroll, author of "Pastures of Plenty," is speaking on his latest book, "Dirt,". May 24, 7-8 PM Hopkinton Library: Program on invasive species.
Meeting adjourned at 8:50 PM. Next meeting is June 21, 7:30 PM at Town office.
Minutes Respectfully Submitted, Betsy Janeway